This old-time ginger beer recipe produces great ginger beer that is sure to bring back memories to many of us. It’s quite easy to make too!
Ginger Beer Recipe
- 2½ cups white Sugar
- 4.4 oz. crushed, dry Ginger (125g)
- ½ cup seedless Raisins
- Skin (peel) and juice of ½ lemon
- 1 gallon Water
- 0.4 oz dry Yeast (not instant yeast) (12.5g)
- Mix the sugar, ginger, raisins, and the skin and juice of the lemon in a bowl.
- Boil the water and pour over the mixture into the bowl.
- Stir until all the sugar is dissolved. Let the mixture cool until luke warm.
- Dissolve the yeast in a little warm water and add to the luke warm mixture. Stir thoroughly.
- Cover the bowl lightly and let it stand covered in a cool area for 12 hours until the raisins float and the mixture contains small bubbles.
- Pour the mixture through a soft cloth or sieve into storage bottles. (This removes all solids from the mixture.) Since there will still be a little yeast-action going on, use containers that can withstand a little pressure.
- Store in the refrigerator and serve chilled. Enjoy!