This Brandy tart recipe produces another old-time favorite South African food. It is also known as tipsy tart and is very yummy!
Brandy Tart Recipe
- ½ lbs Dates
- 1 tsp Bicorbonate of Soda
- 1 cup Boiling water
- ½ cup Butter or margarine
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 cup Chopped pecan nuts
- 1¼ cup Sugar
- 2½ tsp Butter
- ¾ cup Water
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- 1 pinch Salt
- ½ cup Brandy
- Cut the dates into small pieces. Add the Bicarbonate of Soda and boiling water to half of the dates in a mixing bowl, stir and let it cool.
- Beat the butter and the sugar together well until it’s creamy and then add the beaten eggs. Mix well.
- Sieve the dry ingredients together en fold into the butter mixture.
- Add the rest of the dry dates and nuts and after that, add the dates- and bicarb mixture. Mix well together.
- Dish the mixture in a large ovenproof bake dish, or into two (2) tart/pie dishes with a diameter of 22 cm (9″) each.
- Bake for 30 – 40 minutes in a medium oven at 350° F.
- Pour the hot syrup over the tart when it comes out the oven.
- Serve hot or cold with whipped cream.
- Boil the first 3 ingredients together for 5 minutes while stirring.
- Remove from heat en add the vanilla, salt and Brandy.
- Stir well.
A great serving suggestion is to serve brandy tart with vanilla ice cream.